After a day spent enjoying your active Paleo lifestyle, this soup has everything you need to relax and recharge. Protein, veggies, and spices in perfect harmony, make this a favorite in our kitchen.
- 12 ounces ground pork
- 1 tablespoon each freshly ground pepper, dried sage, and dried rosemary
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon avocado oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 celery ribs, sliced into ¼ inch pieces
- 1 red, orange, or yellow bell pepper, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon salt-free tomato paste
- 1½ teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 (28-ounce) can salt-free diced tomatoes or 2 pounds fresh tomatoes
- 1 quart salt-free Chicken Broth
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled, deveined, and chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1 avocado, diced or sliced, for serving
- Chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
In medium sized bowl, thoroughly combine pork, pepper, sage, and rosemary and set aside.
Heat 1 tablespoon of the avocado oil in a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat. When the oil is shimmering, add the onion, celery, and bell pepper and cook for 6 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally until the onion is translucent. Add the garlic, three-quarters of the seasoned pork, tomato paste, smoked paprika, and coriander. Cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly, until very fragrant. Add the tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes. Add broth and bring to a simmer. Cook, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a small sauté pan, heat the remaining teaspoon of avocado oil over high heat. When the oil is hot, add the remaining seasoned pork and cook for 5 minutes, or until crispy. Set aside to drain on paper towels. Taste the soup and add additional smoked paprika, and coriander to reach desired taste. Add the shrimp and simmer until just cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from the heat, stir in the minced cilantro, and serve topped with the crispy pork, avocado, and chopped cilantro.