On a recent trip to Kansas to visit friends and family, we stopped at a local juice shop called Songbird that had the delicious, healthy offerings I was craving when away from home.
Are you surprised to know I went two days in a row? And that I ordered the same thing both days? I’m so predictable it’s not even funny.
This was one of my first açaí bowl experiences, and the flavor combination of banana peanut butter finally compelled me to create an inspired version for the blog. Let’s do this!
This recipe is SO simple, requiring just 10 minutes, 4 ingredients, and 1 blender.
The base is açaí, the wonder fruit everyone seems to be raving about, especially when it comes to smoothie bowls.
Açaí is a South American-based berry that’s becoming quite popular in the health community, boasting loads of antioxidants, amino acids, electrolytes, and vitamins.
I personally love it because (depending on the brand you buy – I like Sambazon), it has very low sugar content. Plus, it blends extremely well with other ingredients as it’s quite neutral in flavor, which is what makes it perfect for this banana peanut butter version!
In addition to frozen açaí (which is easy to find at most grocery stores and health markets in the frozen section), I relied on bananas for creamy sweetness, peanut butter powder for a lower-calorie yet high-protein addition, coconut milk, and spinach (hello, fiber and folate).
The result is a creamy, thick smoothie bowl that ends up tasting like a banana peanut butter milkshake!
For toppings, I went with sliced bananas, berries, coconut, and sunflower seeds. Hemp seeds also make a great addition.
I also think this smoothie bowl would be delicious with the addition of your favorite vegan protein powder (chocolate, vanilla, or plain)!
I hope you all LOVE this smoothie bowl! It’s:
& Mega delicious
This would make the perfect breakfast or snack for days when you don’t have much time or it’s too hot to cook.
If you’re into smoothies, be sure to check out my Go-To Smoothie Bowl, Matcha Green Smoothie Bowl, Super Green Smoothie Bowl, 5-Ingredient Detox Smoothie, Carrot Turmeric Ginger Smoothie, and PB & J Date Smoothie!
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #minimalistbaker on Instagram. We love seeing what you come up with. Cheers, friends!
Peanut Butter & Jelly Açaí Bowls
Creamy, nutritious açaí bowls with banana, peanut butter, coconut milk, and spinach! A 4-ingredient healthy breakfast or snack that tastes like a milkshake!
Author: Minimalist Baker
Recipe type: Breakfast, Snack
Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten-Free
- 2 packets (200 g) frozen unsweetened acai (organic when possible // I used Sambazon unsweetened)
- 1 1/2 ripe bananas, previously sliced and frozen (270 g)
- 3 Tbsp (15 g) peanut butter powder (or nut butter of choice)
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup (60-120 ml) unsweetened coconut, almond, rice or other non-dairy milk
- optional: 1 cup spinach (organic when possible // I buy mine washed + freeze it)
- optional: 1/4 cup mixed berries (for color)
- 1/2 banana, sliced
- 2 Tbsp (10 g) shredded unsweetened coconut
- 2 Tbsp (14 g) sunflower seeds/hemp seeds
- Add frozen acai, frozen banana, peanut butter powder (or butter), and 1/4 cup dairy-free milk to a high-speed blender. If adding spinach, add at this time. I only added berries for purple color and recommend leaving them out for best flavor.
- Blend on low, using a wand to push the fruit down. Smoothie bowls will be thick, so it takes them longer to blend. Continue blending, scraping down sides as needed, adding only as much dairy-free milk as it takes to help it form a thick smoothie texture.
- Taste and adjust flavor as needed, adding more peanut butter powder (or butter) for peanut butter flavor, banana for sweetness, or berries for fruity flavor. The flavor should resemble a peanut butter banana smoothie, as the açaí is quite subtle in flavor and slightly tart.
- Divide between two serving bowls and garnish with desired toppings. I went with coconut, berries, banana, sunflower seeds, hemp seeds, and peanut butter.
- Enjoy immediately – best when fresh! Freeze leftovers up to 2 weeks. Thaw to enjoy.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate for 1 of 2 servings without toppings.
Serving size: 1/2 of recipe without toppings Calories: 229 Fat: 4.5 g Saturated fat: 0.6 g Carbohydrates: 44.5 g Sugar: 24.5 g Sodium: 180 mg Fiber: 6.5 g Protein: 9.6 g