Congratulations to Kraig Menard, the winner of our Paleo Recipe Contest!!
Try out this recipe and tag us in your pictures.
Check out more from “The Cajun Caveman” at http://www.cajuncaveman.com
Recipe: Old Time Cajun Braised Chicken Gizzards
Number of Servings: 8
-1.5-2 lbs Chicken Gizzards – cleaned and opened
-1 medium Onion -diced
-1 small Bell Pepper diced
-2 cloves of Garlic – minced
-2 Tbsp Parsley- chopped
-4 Tbsp Olive Oil (or other Paleo-approved oils)
-2-3 cups salt-free Chicken Stock
-Salt-free Cajun Seasoning
Preparation & Cooking Instructions:
- In a pot/dutch oven, heat 2 tbsp of oil on medium to medium-high heat.
- With the chicken gizzards in a large bowl, sprinkle them with Cajun seasonings to taste.
- In batches, lightly brown the gizzards and move them to a plate or bowl.
- Return pot to stove and heat remaining oil.
- Add onions and bell peppers and sauté until the vegetables appear tender. (2-3 min)
- Add garlic and parsley and sauté on the stove for one minute longer.
- Return gizzards and juices to the pot.
- Add about 2 cups of stock. (Use enough stock to almost cover the gizzards, but not completely).
- Turn up the heat to a boil, then lower to a simmer.
- Cover the pot and let everything cook on low (simmer) for about 4-5 hours.
- Stir occasionally and keep an eye on the pot so the liquids don’t reduce to burning.
- You should have a thick gravy.
- Serve with prepared cauliflower rice.
Comments to this website are moderated by our editorial board. For approval, comments need to be relevant to the article and free of profanities and personal attacks. We encourage cordial debates for the betterment of understanding and discovery. Comments that advertise or promote a business will also not be approved, however, links to relevant blog posts that follow the aforementioned criteria will be allowed. Thank you.