Choosing the right artichokes is the most important step in this recipe. Look for artichokes that are firm and have a tight leaf formation. Leaves should “squeak” when you press the leaves together in your hands. Also purchase artichokes with a stem attached, another sign of freshness.
This “superfood” contains polyphenols, disease-fighting compounds, also antioxidants, vitamins C and K, magnesium, potassium, and folate. They are elegant yet so simple to prepare. So along with being healthful, they make a beautiful appetizer for guests or a special vegetable side for a family dinner.
Oven Roasted Artichokes with Lemon and Olive Oil Dipping Sauce
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
- 6 tsp. and 3 Tbsp.
olive oil, divided
cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh herbs, such as thyme, oregano or parsley, finely minced
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F ( 200 degrees C). Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper, set aside. Place the juice of one lemon into a shallow dish, set aside.
- Working with one artichoke at a time, begin by trimming one inch off the top of the artichoke. Cut a half inch off the stem end, then peel stem leaving only the tender inner stem. Remove any lower, discolored leaves. Cut artichoke in half lengthwise and scoop out the choke, the fuzzy center, with a spoon. Dip cut side of artichoke halves in lemon juice to keep from browning. Repeat process with remaining artichoke halves. Save remaining lemon juice for dipping sauce.
- Place artichoke halves on lined baking sheet, cut side up. Drizzle each half with a teaspoon of olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place a few garlic slices in the center of each artichoke half, scatter over with fresh minced herbs. Turn halves over so the cut side is on the pan. Roast artichokes for 30 to 35 minutes.
- While artichokes are roasting, make the dipping sauce by whisking together reserved lemon juice and 3 tablespoons olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove artichokes for oven, transfer to platter, serve with dipping sauce.
Looking for more gluten-free, sugar-free recipes? My Ultimate Candida Diet program contains more than 40 delicious recipes, plus lots of valuable advice on which foods to eat and avoid. Find out more here.