Freshly baked biscuits get me every time. Nothing beats the smell of buttery, golden brown biscuits or drop biscuits – especially when they’re still warm from the oven.
Unfortunately–to nobody’s surprise–most biscuits are loaded with fat. Not only will you find butter mixed into every nook-and-cranny of dough (that’s what makes them flaky), but many biscuits are then slathered with extra butter before serving. It seems a bit excessive, doesn’t it?
This super simple, four-ingredient recipe is a great way to indulge in a lighter version of traditional biscuits. Rather than relying on heaps of butter, Greek yogurt keeps these drop biscuits light in both calories and texture. Yogurt is a genius substitute that not only cuts down on the fat; but it also helps replicate the familiar tang of buttermilk biscuits. Make sure to use whole milk Greek yogurt for the best results, as a little bit of fat is needed for flaky biscuits.
To take your drop biscuits completely over the top, you can fold in fresh herbs or cheese for a bit of extra flavor. Green onion and cheddar cheese a personal favorite of mine, but I encourage you to get creative!
- Add ¼ cup of your favorite chopped fresh herbs (like basil, parsley, cilantro, or oregano) when adding the yogurt.
- Add ¼ cup chopped green onions when adding the yogurt.
- Add 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh rosemary or thyme when adding the yogurt.
- Add ½ cup shredded cheese when adding the yogurt. Make sure you add 1 tsp. when calculating your container equivalents.
- Add ½ cup crumbled feta, blue or goat cheese when adding yogurt. Make sure you add ½ tsp. when calculating your container equivalents.
Four-Ingredient Drop Biscuits
- Parchment paper
- 1½ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2¼ tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. + 1 dash sea salt (or Himalayan salt)
- 1½ cups whole milk plain Greek yogurt
- Preheat oven to 400º F.
- Line large sheet pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl; mix well.
- Add yogurt; mix well. Dough will be moist.
- Drop dough onto prepared pan using a ¼ cup measure. Place dough at least 1½-inches apart.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
Nutritional Information (per serving):
Total Fat: 2 g
Saturated Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 5 mg
Sodium: 109 mg
Carbohydrates: 17 g
Fiber: 1 g
Sugars: 2 g
Protein: 6 g
1 Grain Carb
Body Beast Portions
Portion Fix Containers
Not familiar with Portion Fix? Find out how Portion Fix can make losing weight simple.
If you have questions about the portions, please click here to post a nutrition question in our forums so our experts can help. Please include a link to the recipe.
Photographs by Anguel Dimov and Brianne B of Natural Girl Modern World