Whenever we travel, the one thing I’m usually able to find, wherever we go, is a smoothie.
Thankfully, they seem to be readily available and a great way to get in some vegetables and fruit, which helps me feel a bit more “in my routine” even when I’m not. This creamy avocado smoothie was inspired by a recent trip to Iceland, where I hit the smoothie jackpot. Let me show you how it’s made!
This creamy avocado smoothie is easy to make, requiring just 5 ingredients, 1 blender, and 5 minutes.
The base is frozen banana, which creates a creamy, naturally sweet base. Next comes the star ingredient: avocado! Full of fiber and healthy fats, avocado makes this smoothie creamy and dreamy and thick, almost like a milkshake.
Next comes dairy-free milk for a smooth and dreamy texture and some greens of choice for fiber, nutrients, and a beautiful green hue. Protein powder is the final ingredient, which takes this smoothie into meal territory. I’ve done a whole review on protein powders, so give it a look to see my favorites.
I hope you all love this smoothie! It’s:
Thick + Creamy
Full of vitamins and minerals
Fiber- + Protein-rich
& Super delicious
Try making this smoothie in the morning for a quick on-the-go breakfast. It would also make a delicious snack or even healthier “dessert” in the evenings. Throw in a little peanut butter for more of a “milkshake” vibe. Serious yum.
For more smoothie ideas, check out my Ginger Colada Green Smoothie (from our cookbook), Gingery Mango Berry Smoothie, Banana Split Smoothie, 5-Ingredient Detox Smoothie, Pumpkin Pie Green Smoothie, or Carrot Ginger Turmeric Smoothie!
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
Creamy Avocado Banana Green Smoothie
Creamy, nutritious, 5-ingredient Avocado Banana Green Smoothie loaded with greens, healthy fats, and protein. The perfect plant-based way to start your day.
Author: Minimalist Baker
Recipe type: Beverage, Breakfast
Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten-Free, Grain-Free
- 1 large ripe, peeled, sliced, + frozen banana (120 g)
- 1/4 – 1/2 ripe avocado (40-80 g) (more avocado = creamier, thicker smoothie)
- 1 scoop (~15 g) plain or vanilla protein powder (see my Protein Powder Guide here)
- 1 large handful (~70 g) greens of choice (spinach, kale, rainbow chard // I like mine frozen)
- 3/4 – 1 cup (180-240 ml) unsweetened plain almond milk (or any dairy-free milk)
- 1 Tbsp (5 g) seed of choice (hemp, flax, sesame, sunflower, chia, etc.)
- 1/2 tsp adaptogen of choice (maca, ashwagandha, etc.)
- 1/2 cup (50 g) sliced frozen (or fresh) cucumber or berries (organic when possible)
- To a high-speed blender, add frozen banana, avocado, protein powder of choice, greens, and dairy-free milk. At this time, add any desired add-ins, such as adaptogens, seeds, or additional fruits and vegetables (such as berries or cucumbers).
- Blend on high until creamy and smooth, scraping down sides as needed. If smoothie is too thick, add more dairy-free milk to thin. If too thin, add more frozen banana or avocado.
- Taste and adjust flavor as needed, adding more banana for sweetness, avocado for creaminess, or greens for vibrant green color. Protein powder can also be used to add more sweetness (depending on brand / flavor).
- Divide between serving glasses and enjoy! Best when fresh, though leftovers will keep covered in the refrigerator up to 24 hours or in the freezer up to 2 weeks.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate for 1 of 2 servings calculated with vegan protein powder and without additional add-ins.
Serving size: 1 of 2 servings Calories: 146 Fat: 6 g Saturated fat: 1 g Carbohydrates: 18.2 g Sugar: 7.4 g Sodium: 138 mg Fiber: 5.3 g Protein: 6.9 g