This post originally appeared over three and a half years ago but I’m resharing it with new photos and updated content.
I know there are a zillion chocolate chip cookie recipes and it seems as though everyone has their favorites. But if you’ve ever had more than one from someone or someplace different, you probably know that they are not all equal. I’m not sure how I happened upon the book where I originally found this recipe but I know it was probably 20 years ago and they have been a favorite ever since.
These Classic Chocolate Chip Cookies are a softer cookie and are so simple to make! One trick is that rather than cooling them on a baking rack, you let them cool on the counter on a paper towel or thin towel. I think that contributes to their softer, chewier texture. Now, my teenage daughter can make these cookies all by herself!
I originally shared this recipe to feature Zulka® Pure Cane Sugar. It’s a real, unrefined granulated “Morena” sugar made from freshly-harvested sugar cane that is a better-tasting and less-processed cup-for-cup replacement for refined white sugar. You can see in my ingredients picture that it looks a little bit like brown sugar but its texture is granulated like white sugar. Morena sugar is a term used to describe granulated sugars that do not undergo conventional refining processes, which remove the complexity and depth of flavor present in raw sugar cane after it has been pressed. Zulka Pure Cane Sugar preserves the natural properties of the sugar cane plant, while retaining flavors as close to fresh sugar cane as possible. This makes it a better alternative to white sugar for baking, cooking and beverage recipes and much more. When you try this sugar, you will discover that it has a pure taste with rich color and aroma. You really can tell the difference!
Ever since I received my first sugar samples all those years ago, I have continued to purchase it for all those reasons above. It is reasonably priced (about the same as the granulated sugar I usually purchase) and it actually has a great flavor. I’d say it’s flavor is much deeper than the regular white sugar I am used to baking and cooking with. So I decided to put it to the test on a favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe that I’ve been making for year. Well, it did the job and I am a convert to Zulka sugar because these cookies were so delicious! You really can taste the flavor difference.
These cookies are a hit everywhere I take them and literally seem to disappear in minutes so I’m sharing my Classic Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe for you here. It truly is one of our very favorites!
Classic Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe with Zulka Sugar #ad
Serves: About 4 dozen.
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- ¾ cup granulate sugar
- ¾ cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- Measure flour, then resift with baking salt and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine butter, sugars, water and vanilla. Beat with electric mixer about two minutes until creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, and beat until fluffy.
- Gradually add the sifted ingredients and beat with mixer for about two minutes until very well blended.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Drop by heaping teaspoonfuls onto lightly greased baking sheets. On middle oven rack, bake at 350° for 10 to 12 minutes. Do not overbake. Remove from oven when lightly browned and slightly crispy on bottom. They may seem slightly undercooked. Cool one minute on baking sheet then transfer to paper towels (or lightweight dish towel) to cool completely.
Simple ingredients come together easily for these delicious cookies.
Zulka can be found in many major retailers like Wal-Mart, Kroger, Safeway, Sam’s Club, Alberstons, ALDI and many others so it is relatively easy to find. I hope you’ll give it a try too.
Disclaimer: I received a bag of Zulka sugar but all opinions are my own.