There’s still time to enjoy those hearty winter flavors with this comforting salad. Brussels sprouts are really nutritious veggies that have complex flavors and a subtle, crunchy texture. They also have some antifungal properties, so they might even help to keep your gut flora in balance.
This is a versatile recipe that can be served in two ways. Try it as a warm side dish next to with roasted meats, or eat it alone as a salad tossed with a bit of extra virgin olive oil and lemon juice.
You can garnish this salad with fresh herbs like minced thyme leaves or parsley, or with a handful of crushed toasted nuts such as hazelnuts, pecans or walnuts. Brussels sprouts never tasted so good!
Prep time: 30 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
Yield: Serves 4
- 2 cups
- 1 cup
whole buckwheat groats
- Pinch of salt
- 2 Tbsp.
oil, such as extra virgin olive or coconut
- ¼ cup
shallots, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup
celery, thinly sliced
clove garlic, minced
Brussels sprouts, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 Tbsp.
fresh thyme leaves (or 1 teaspoon dried thyme)
- 1 cup
vegetable broth or water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 to 3
leaves Swiss chard, cut across into ribbons
- Fresh herbs, such as thyme or parsley, minced
- Crushed, toasted nuts, such as hazelnuts, pecans or walnuts
- In a medium saucepan, bring water and salt to a boil. Add whole buckwheat groats, cover and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from heat, let rest for 5 minutes, fluff with a fork.
- While buckwheat groats are simmering, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add shallots, celery, garlic, Brussels sprouts and saute until vegetables begin to soften and brown (about 5 minutes). Next, add fresh or dried thyme leaves, broth or water, salt and pepper to taste and simmer covered over medium low heat for about 10 minutes. Then add the Swiss chard, stirring to wilt for about 1 to 2 minutes. Lastly, add cooked buckwheat groats to the skillet, and stir to combine.
- To serve, you can garnish with fresh minced herbs and crushed, toasted nuts. For a salad, cool it to room temperature and toss with 2 to 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice.
Looking for more gluten-free, sugar-free recipes? My Ultimate Candida Diet program contains more than 50 delicious recipes, plus lots of valuable advice on which foods to eat and avoid. Find out more here.