Matcha lattes, you guys. Vegan matcha lattes. Naturally sweetened vegan matcha lattes. Things are getting very hipster over here today and I’m very into it.
I’ve been on and off the caffeine train many times over the last decade. Some days, it’s my superpower. Other days, it makes me feel like an insane person.
So when I’m needing a little pick-me-up these days, I’ve been opting for a gentler source of caffeine that also boasts a flurry of antioxidants: matcha green tea powder!
This 4-ingredient, 5-minute recipe is easy to make, customizable, and super delicious. The first and most important thing is to start with quality matcha.
Townshend’s is local to Portland and I love supporting local brands doing cool things, so I went with Townshend’s this time (which happens to be bright green and so delicious!).
However, if you’re new to matcha and wanting to try a more affordable yet still high-quality brand, try Organic Matcha (which I also enjoyed).
For sweetener, I went with maple syrup, but another natural alternative would be stevia, which dissolves easily and adds a subtle amount of sweetness to your latte.
The next important ingredient is dairy-free milk. I tested almond, coconut, and macadamia nut milk, and two stood out as clear winners.
Almond milk doesn’t jive with the flavor of matcha in my opinion, but coconut and macadamia, on the other hand, totally do.
I found my favorite combo to be half coconut milk, half macadamia milk (brand recommendations below). This duo creates a creamy, delicious latte that lets the matcha shine through.
I hope you guys enjoy this latte! It’s:
& So delicious
This would make the perfect gentle caffeine boost when you need a little pick-me-up. I enjoy mine warm in the morning with breakfast. But it can also be made cold over ice if you’re in warmer climates or it’s summertime.
If you’re into caffeine boosts, also be sure to check out our Cold Brew Mocha Frappuccino, Cold Brew Caramel Frappuccino, Coffee Coconut Ice Cream, Vegan Chocolate Coffee Ice Cream Sandwiches, Vegan Pumpkin Spice Latte Waffles, 3-Ingredient Mocha Milkshake, and Matcha Green Smoothie Bowls.
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #minimalistbaker on Instagram so we can see! Cheers, friends.
Best Vegan Matcha Latte
The best vegan matcha latte with matcha powder recommendations, my favorite dairy-free milk blend, and natural sweeteners! A 4-ingredient, 5-minute, creamy, antioxidant-rich beverage!
Author: Minimalist Baker
Recipe type: Beverage
Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten-Free
- 1 1/4 tsp matcha powder (I like Townshend’s and Organic Matcha)
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) maple syrup (or stevia to taste), more or less to preference + depending on sweetness of macadamia and coconut milk
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) hot water
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) light coconut milk (I prefer canned Whole Foods 365 organic)
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) macadamia nut milk (I like this brand)
- Add matcha powder to your serving mug along with sweetener of choice and hot water. (If adding add-ins like maca or ashwaganda, add at this time.)
- Whisk with a bamboo whisk or a metal whisk until completely dissolved. If you don’t have a bamboo whisk, you can use a spoon or a metal whisk or even blend the latte in a blender. Bamboo whisks are gentle on the matcha and also help it dissolve more completely. So if you like matcha, I recommend investing! Otherwise, use what you have.
- Once the matcha is completely dissolved, heat* your coconut and macadamia milk (or other dairy-free milks). I added mine to a frothing pitcher and steamed on our espresso machine, but you could also heat in the microwave or on the stovetop until hot and steamy. To get more froth, you can whisk vigorously or use a handheld frother.
- Pour dairy-free milk into your mug – latte art optional (mine was a little sad – lol). Taste and add more sweetener if needed. I found that, when I used the macadamia nut milk, I only needed a bit of maple syrup or stevia to sweeten. Enjoy immediately.
*Latte can also be made cold over ice. Simply add all ingredients plus a handful of ice to a jar, cover, and shake vigorously to combine.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate for 1 latte sweetened with 1 Tbsp maple syrup and unsweetened macadamia nut milk.
Serving size: 1 drink* Calories: 186 Fat: 11.7 g Saturated fat: 8.5 g Carbohydrates: 20.9 g Sugar: 11.9 g Sodium: 159 mg Fiber: 1.8 g Protein: 4 g