We’ve been digging golden milk for a while now, so it was due time to share my go-to recipe.
If you haven’t tried golden milk yet, you’re missing out! It’s a creamy (dairy-free), hot milk drink that’s filled to the brim with nutrients.
Yes, a delicious beverage with health benefits. Dreams do come true.
My version is inspired by the lovely Nutrition Stripped and requires just 8 ingredients, 1 pot, and 5 minutes. We’ve been making McKel’s version for quite some time now with a few modifications, and it’s now a daily obsession.
I’ve found that using a mix of light (canned) coconut milk and unsweetened almond milk creates the perfect creamy base. I’ve tried using both fresh and ground turmeric and have to say ground is better in terms of flavor!
Coconut oil adds a touch of healthy fat and makes the turmeric more available for our bodies to absorb because it is fat-soluble. So don’t skip the oil! And by some wizardry, black pepper also makes the curcumin in turmeric more bioavailable, so it’s an important addition as well.
To sweeten, you can go any number of ways. I typically go for a spoonful of maple syrup, and if it still needs some sweetness, a dash of stevia is perfect.
I hope you all love our go-to Golden Milk! It’s:
Turmeric + ginger-infused
This is the perfect afternoon pick-me-up when you need something to tide you over till dinner. The health perks alone have made it a daily ritual for us. Anything anti-inflammatory and antioxidant-rich is a win in my book.
This drink is delicious on its own, but it pairs especially well with treats like Blueberry Muffin Breakfast Cookies and 1-Bowl Carrot Apple Muffins. And if you’re into golden milk, be sure to check out our Golden Milk Ice Cream and Dark Chocolate Golden Milk Macaroons!
If you try this recipe, let us know by leaving a comment, rating it, and tagging a photo #minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
5-Minute Golden Milk
Creamy, 5-minute golden milk with dairy-free milk, ginger, turmeric, and coconut oil. Naturally sweetened, incredibly healthy, and so delicious.
Author: Minimalist Baker
Recipe type: Beverage
Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten-Free
- 1 1/2 cups (360 ml) light coconut milk (canned is best, but carton works too)
- 1 1/2 cups (360 ml) unsweetened plain almond milk (DIY or store-bought)
- 1 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger (see notes for fresh*)
- 1 cinnamon stick (or 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon | I prefer the stick!)
- 1 Tbsp (15 g) coconut oil
- Pinch ground black pepper
- Sweetener of choice (i.e. maple syrup, coconut sugar, or stevia to taste)
- To a small saucepan, add coconut milk, almond milk, ground turmeric, ground ginger, cinnamon stick, coconut oil, black pepper, and sweetener of choice (I usually add 1 Tbsp (15 ml) maple syrup).
- Whisk to combine and warm over medium heat. Heat until hot to the touch but not boiling – about 4 minutes – whisking frequently.
- Turn off heat and taste to adjust flavor. Add more sweetener to taste or more turmeric or ginger for intense spice + flavor.
- Serve immediately, dividing between two glasses and leaving the cinnamon stick behind. Best when fresh, though leftovers can be stored covered in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. Reheat on the stovetop or microwave until hot.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate for 1 of 2 servings calculated without sweetener.
*Recipe heavily adapted from the lovely Nutrition Stripped!
Serving size: 1/2 of recipe* Calories: 205 Fat: 19.5 g Saturated fat: 15.1 g Carbohydrates: 8.9 g Sugar: 0 g Sodium: 161 mg Fiber: 1.1 g Protein: 3.2 g