Nuts can be “cheese,” too, ya know?
I’ve done it before and I’ll do it again.
It was about time for my updated, go-to vegan parmesan cheese recipe! Let’s do this.
What’s different about this new recipe and my old, go-to recipe? It’s cashew-free!
Many of you have expressed cashew allergies/intolerances and I thought I’d provide an alternative. This version is as easy as ever, requiring just 5 ingredients, 5 minutes, and 1 bowl.
In place of cashews, I went for a blend of hemp seeds, pine nuts (which add a buttery, nutty flavor), and Brazil nuts (which are fairly neutral in flavor).
The “cheese” flavor comes from nutritional yeast (which is super high in vitamin B12), and a pinch of salt. That’s it! Garlic powder and oil are optional, but they add even more depth of flavor.
I hope you all love this cashew-free vegan parmesan! It’s:
Easy to make
& So delicious
This would make the perfect topper for things like Eggplant Parmesan, My Favorite Vegan Pizza, Roasted Red Pepper Pasta, or Easy Vegan Meatballs. It also works well in things like Pesto and Vegan Mac ‘n’ Cheese Sauces!
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
5-Ingredient Vegan Parmesan Cheese
Easy, 1-Bowl, 5-ingredient vegan parmesan cheese made with a blend of nuts, seeds, salt, and nutritional yeast! The perfect topper for Italian dishes!
Author: Minimalist Baker
Recipe type: Topping / Side
Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten-Free, Italian-Inspired
Serves: 1 cup
- 3/4 cup (100 g) brazil nuts
- 2 Tbsp (16 g) pine nuts
- 1 Tbsp (10 g) hemp seeds
- 1/4 cup (12 g) nutritional yeast
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- optional: 1/4 tsp garlic powder or 1 Tbsp (15 ml) garlic-infused olive oil
- Add brazil nuts, pine nuts, hemp seeds, nutritional yeast, and salt to a food processor or a blender and pulse into a fine meal. If adding garlic powder, add at this time. If adding garlic-infused oil, add after the mixture is a “meal.”
- Taste and adjust flavor as needed, adding more nutritional yeast for “cheesiness” or salt for saltiness. Garlic powder adds more depth.
- Store in a covered container in the refrigerator up to 2-3 weeks (sometimes longer). Perfect for toppings things like pizza, pasta, lasagna, vegan meatballs, and more!
Serving size: 1 Tbsp (of 16 total servings) Calories: 55 Fat: 5.3 g Saturated fat: 1 g Carbohydrates: 1.3 g Sugar: 0.2 g Sodium: 90 mg Fiber: 0.7 g Protein: 1.6 g